Texas Tech will honor National First-Gen College Celebration Day on Nov. 8, with celebratory events throughout the week.
First-Gen Week is an opportunity for faculty, staff and students to build relationships with their colleagues and with leadership to create support systems needed to thrive and succeed. The week will begin with the First-Gen Kickoff on Monday (Nov. 7) and conclude with First-Gen seating at the Kansas vs Texas Tech football game on Saturday (Nov. 12).
“Celebrating First-Gen week is important for our students, faculty and staff that identify as first-generation college students, graduates and those that champion their success to know there is a Texas Tech community of support to guide them through the process,” said Carol A. Sumner, chief diversity officer and vice president of Diversity, Equity & Inclusion at Texas Tech.
On Friday (Nov. 18) and Saturday (Nov. 19), the First-Gen Champions Institute also invites faculty, staff and educators from across the nation to foster a space for learning and understanding as it relates to college access, completion and success for first-generation students.
“We are thrilled to be an exemplar in the advancement of our work to support First-Gen students through our National Association of Student Personnel Administrators (NASPA) First-Gen Advisory Institution recognition,” Sumner said. “The daily commitment by our Texas Tech community should be recognized and celebrated as we know that From Here, It's Possible™.”
First-Gen Week events:
- First-Gen Kick-Off: noon-1:30 p.m. Monday (Nov. 7), Black Cultural Center
- Yoga & Power Pilates: 5:30-6:30 p.m. Monday (Nov. 7), University Recreation Center, Rm. 121
- First-Gen T-Shirt Giveaway: 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Tuesday (Nov. 8), Doak Hall Courtyard
- First-Gen Networking Crash Course: 3 p.m. - 4 p.m. Tuesday (Nov. 8), Black Cultural Center
- Consejos con Mentor Tech: noon -1 p.m. Wednesday (Nov. 9), Black Cultural Center
- Student Resource Fair, Rawls College Diversity Symposium: 2-4 p.m. Wednesday (Nov. 9), McCoy Atrium
- Conversations with the Next Generation: 4-5 p.m. Thursday (Nov. 10), Student Union Building, Red Raider Lounge
- Dream Ally Training: 2-3:15 p.m. Friday (Nov. 11), Student Union Building, Traditions Room
For more information, please visit the First-Gen Week events page.