Texas Tech’s Division of Diversity, Equity & Inclusion, in partnership with University Student Housing, will host events from Jan. 17-24 to celebrate the legacy of Martin Luther King Jr.
Texas Tech University will host Martin Luther King Jr. (MLK) Celebration 2022 from Jan. 17-24. The week offers the Texas Tech and Lubbock communities a chance to reflect on the life and legacy of MLK. The week's events are presented by the Division of Diversity, Equity & Inclusion (DDEI) and University Student Housing.
“Every year we have an opportunity to reflect, renew and re-engage in celebration of the legacy of Martin Luther King Jr.,” said Carol A. Sumner, chief diversity officer and vice president of the Division of Diversity, Equity & Inclusion at Texas Tech. “The theme this year recenters our focus on our individual roles and responsibilities in advancing the work and furthering the call to be servant leaders and agents of change. Each of us has the power, and ability to make the world a little better for others. That is MLK's charge and his legacy living through each of us.”
The MLK Celebration is one that Texas Tech has been committed to celebrating through the past years, even through COVID-19, as the events have largely shifted to an online format. In 2022, the events will focus on equity through the theme, “It Starts With Me.”
“It's important for our campus community to celebrate the life of MLK as humanity as a whole continues to benefit from his courageous leadership, contributions and personal sacrifices,” said Cory S. Powell, director of the Office of Institutional Diversity at Texas Tech and co-chair of the MLK planning committee. “This week provides opportunities for us to celebrate and honor the legacy of MLK while also providing inspiration for the continuance of his work.”
MLK Week events include:
- MLK Day of Service: time specific to volunteer opportunity, Monday (Jan. 17), sign-up at Volunteer Center of Lubbock (open to the public)
- MLK Week Art Exhibit at University Library: Jan. 19-24
- MLK Wreath Placing Ceremony: 11-11:30 a.m. Tuesday (Jan. 18), Memorial Circle
- Fourth Annual MLK Legacy March Reflection Route: 11 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Tuesday (Jan. 18), Reflection Route (open to the public)
- Voter Registration Drive: noon to 2 p.m. Wednesday (Jan. 19), Student Union Building (SUB)
- Living Legends Panel: 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Wednesday (Jan. 19), virtual event, register here (open to the public)
- Library Great Reads Kick-off Event: 5:30-7 p.m. (Jan. 20), Register here virtually
- Meals on Wheels Service Event: Friday (Jan. 21) faculty and staff only, sign up here
- Men's basketball Game (Texas Tech vs. West Virginia): 11 a.m. Saturday (Jan. 22), United Supermarkets Arena
- Law School speaker event: 6-8 p.m. Monday (Jan. 24), virtual event, registration TBD
For more information about events on campus and throughout Lubbock, visit the MLK Celebration 2022 website.