Students can participate in more than 150 events.
The Texas Tech University Office of Transition & Engagement will host Raider Welcome beginning Sunday (Aug. 18) through Aug. 31. New and returning students can participate in more than 150 fun and free events.
“I've always seen Raider Welcome as coming back to campus,” said Rachel Jackson, associate director of the Office of Transition & Engagement. “While I do think it is targeted to first-year and transfer students, it's a great way for upper-class students to start the year fresh, get energized and maybe do things they didn't do their first year. Something new we have added this year is the ability for students to download the schedule to the built-in calendar app on their phones. It's the easiest way to find out what's going on and what's new. You can find and download the link on our website.”
Throughout the two weeks, students can participate in events focused on academic success, wellness and recreation, social connections, culture and diversity, community involvement and Texas Tech traditions. This year there also are two service projects with Habitat for Humanity and Vitalant where students can give back to the Lubbock community.
Some of the signature events this year include:
- 99¢ Steak Night: 5 p.m. Monday (Aug. 19), Urbanovsky Park Amphitheater
- Ice Cream Social: 6 p.m. Monday (Aug. 19), University Career Center, Wiggins Complex, south door entry
- Night at the SUB: 4p-9 p.m. Tuesday (Aug. 20), Student Union Building
- Student Organization Fair: 6-7 p.m. Tuesday (Aug. 20), SUB, Red Raider Ballroom
- Barnes and Noble VIP Nite: 7-10 p.m. Wednesday (Aug. 21), Barnes and Noble Bookstore in the SUB
- Raider Royale Casino Night: 8-11 p.m. Thursday (Aug. 22), United Supermarkets Arena
- Hub City Fest: 7-9 p.m. Friday (Aug. 23), R1 parking lot, west of the Chemistry building
- Drive-in Movie: 8:30-11 p.m. Friday (Aug. 23), Robert H. Ewalt Student Recreation Center, Leisure Pool
- Raider Roundup: 7-8:30 p.m. Sunday (Aug. 25), Urbanovsky Park Recreation Field
For a full schedule and more information on each event, visit the Raider Welcome website.
Join the conversation on social media by following @TTUengagement on Twitter and using the hashtag #RaiderWelcome.
Find Texas Tech news, experts and story ideas at Texas Tech Today Media Resources or follow us on Twitter.
CONTACT: Rachel Jackson, associate director, Office of Transition & Engagement, Texas Tech University, (806) 742-2993 or firstname.lastname@example.org