The 2018 Distinguished Staff Awards honored a wide range of employees.
Every major operation, particularly a large and growing university, thrives because of the people who work to make sure things run smoothly. On Tuesday, a group of those people at Texas Tech University were recognized and honored at the 2018 Distinguished Staff Awards ceremony.
Staff and employees from every corner of campus were honored, and a common theme was how they have contributed to make Texas Tech great.
Texas Tech President Lawrence Schovanec applied a recent discussion he had with the parents of a new Texas Tech student to how and why the staff at the university is so important to the university's mission.
“The mantra that best describes Texas Tech is ‘What can I do for you?'” Schovanec said. “There is an exceptional culture here that you don't find anywhere else. That's a reflection of our staff and what they are willing to do to make Texas Tech a great place.”
Grace Hernandez, Schovanec's Chief of Staff and associate vice president of administration, echoed that sentiment.
“The staff is the foundation of this university, and we thank you so much,” she said.
Besides the honorees, there was also reason to thank those who nominated their employees and co-workers.
“Any time we can promote the excellence of our fellow Red Raiders, we should,” said Ballard, an executive board member of the Staff Senate.
2018 Texas Tech University Distinguished Staff Awards
Matador Award winners
- Brendan Allison; grant editor, College of Arts & Sciences
- Kristen Grant; lead specialist, Human Resources
- Traci Madden; associate director, Athletics
- Michael Sonberg; foreman, Operations
- Randi Stevens; manager, Office of International Affairs
Masked Rider Award
- Jeff Caperton; manager, Hospitality Services
- Jeannine McCoy; senior buyer, Natural Resources Management
- Leigh Prouty; unit assistant director, University Student Housing
- Li Qin; director, College of Arts & Sciences
- Michael Spivey; lead utility operator, Operations
Guns Up Award (Team)
- Jean Bertonazzi; scientific glass blower
- Scott Hiemstra; program manager
- Vincent Wilde; senior project engineer
- Brittany Backus; senior research associate
- Tiffanie Brooks; veterinarian
- Michael Chandler; lab animal technician
- Karin Fritz; coordinator
- Mark Thurman; lab animal technician
- Paul Stonum; clinical veterinarian
- Veronica Vasquez; animal health technician
- Sydnee Woodman; facilities manager
- Wendy-Adele Humphrey; associate dean
- Danielle Saavedra; assistant dean
- Donna Williams; senior admissions counselor
President's Award of Excellence
- Donna Brasher; unit associate director, College of Education
- Cory Norman; director of marketing and company manager, School of Theater and Dance
- Stephanie West; section manager, Human Resources
Chancellor's Award of Excellence
- Brandon Maddox; lead utility operator, Operations
- Jared Martin; unit manager, Environmental Health and Safety
- Melanie Tatum; unit assistant director, University Student Housing
- Anna Thomas; associate managing director, National Wind Institute