Women's & Gender Studies Program Hosts Events for Domestic Violence Awareness Month
This month, the Texas Tech University Women's & Gender Studies program will host events to bring awareness to domestic violence. The events are in conjunction with the Week Without Violence (Oct. 16-20), a worldwide annual campaign that takes place the third week in October and is meant to encourage communities to think and work toward a world without violence.
Domestic Violence Awareness Month evolved from the "Day of Unity" held in October
1981 and conceived by the National Coalition Against Domestic Violence. The intent
was to connect advocates across the nation who were working to end violence against
women and their children. The Day of Unity soon became an entire week devoted to a
range of activities conducted at the local, state and national level.
Events happening throughout the week include:
- Online: 2 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays in October. The National Resource Center on Domestic Violence will host special events and podcasts throughout the month. Podcasts can be found here.
- Meaningful Collaboration Twitter Chat: 2-3 p.m. Tuesday (Oct. 17). Follow @National DVAM to join a Twitter conversation about meaningful collaboration.
- Purple Thursday: Thursday (Oct. 19). Wear purple for the 12th annual observance of Purple Thursday to honor and support victims and survivors of domestic violence.
- It's On Us Workshop: 5:30-6:30 p.m. Monday (Oct. 23) in Human Sciences 174. Reframe the conversation surrounding sexual assault and generate a campus-wide campaign to inspire everyone to see their responsibility to do something to prevent domestic violence.
- Clothesline Project: Solidarity Table: 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Tuesday and Thursday (Oct. 24 and 26) in the Student Union Building across from Copy Mail. Message shirts made by those impacted by domestic violence are on display to showcase the reality of violence. Shirts and materials to decorate them are available to the public free of charge. Shirts can be made on site or dropped off at a later time.
- Raiders Respond: Bystander Intervention Workshop: 5 p.m. Tuesday (Oct. 24) in the SUB Red Raider Lounge. The event is hosted by RISE and Fraternity & Sorority Life.
- Women's Protective Services Candlelight Vigil: 6:00 p.m. Thursday (Oct. 26) at Our Lady of Grace, 3111 Erskine St. Women's & Gender Studies is proud to support the annual candlelight vigil led by Women's Protective Services of Lubbock, Inc., come together to raise awareness about domestic violence and honor victims and survivors of domestic and gender violence.
- If you feel you are in immediate danger, please call 911.
- Those in the Lubbock region who need assistance may call the 24-hour crisis hotline: 1-806-747-6491 or 1-800-736-6491.
- Those outside of the Lubbock region may call the National Domestic Violence Hotline: 1-800-799-SAFE (7233) or 1-800-787-3224 (TTY).
For more details and events taking place during the week, visit the Women's & Gender Studies event calendar.