A full class of Texas Tech University students advances in a nationwide competition.
Students of the Texas Tech University School of Music assistant professor of trumpet, Andrew Stetson, will participate in the semifinal round of the National Trumpet Competition at Metropolitan State University in Denver, Colorado, Mar. 23-25. The students are participating as soloists, members of a trumpet ensemble and composers.
Soloists competing in the Undergraduate Division are:
- Brock Alsaffar, performing René Berthelot's "Ballade"
- Jessica Calvit, performing the "Psalm" movement from Joseph Turrin's "Two Portraits"
The soloist competing in the Graduate Division is:
- Marc Sutton, doctoral student in performance, performing the second and third movements of Michael Mikulka's "Concerto for Trumpet"
The three ensembles advancing to the semifinal round are:
- Competing in the large ensemble division, a trumpet octet will perform Erik Morale's "Infinite Ascent." Students in the ensemble include Rachel Perkins, Blake Wells, Jonathan Fortson, Alexander Kolb, Nicholas Tharp, Aaron Amaya, Tiffany Sumrow and Christina Weston.
- The second ensemble will perform an arrangement by Stetson of selections from the "Second Piano Concerto" of Dmitri Shostakovich. This ensemble collaborates with Ethan Munger, a bass trumpet performer from the studio of Kevin Wass professor of tuba. Performers include Brock Alsaffar, Jessica Calvit, Jacob Diewald and Clark Preston.
- The final ensemble is a trumpet quartet performing the premiere of "The Four Horsemen," a work specifically composed for the quartet's competition entry by Robert Luther, doctoral student in trumpet performance. The quartet features Samuel Acosta, Mylon Johnson, Pierce Ellison and Marc Sutton.
Both soloists and ensembles advanced to the semifinal round after submitting recorded performances in December. Each piece was judged by a panel, which then chose the semifinalists from a pool of both national and international performers. Stetson's entire studio class advanced to the semifinal round.