This year’s homecoming theme is all about superheroes vs. villains and will offer several events for students and the Lubbock community.
"Red Raiders assemble!" It's almost homecoming week.
This year's homecoming will kick off Monday (Oct. 10) and end at the football game against West Virginia at Jones AT&T Stadium on Oct. 15.
During Texas Tech's homecoming, titled "Red Raiders Assemble: Heroes vs. Villains," the university will host several events for students, alumni and the Lubbock community to participate in, all based around this year's theme.
A few new events for students have been added, including a comedy night performance Wednesday (Oct. 12) with DJ Demers, as seen on NBC's "America's Got Talent."
"We are excited to offer some fun, new homecoming events that center around this year's theme as well as continue our traditional events such as the parade and the Homecoming & Hoops pep rally in collaboration with Texas Tech Athletics," said Claire Maginness, associate director of student activities.
The homecoming week events include:
- Monday (Oct. 10)
- Kick-off: Noon-12:50 p.m., Student Union Building North Plaza
- Tuesday (Oct. 11)
- Student Organization Sing: 8 p.m. United Supermarkets Arena
- Wednesday (Oct. 12)
- Comedy Night with DJ Demers: 8 p.m., Student Union Building Allen Theatre
- Thursday (Oct. 13)
- Techsan Memorial: 5:30 p.m. Thursday, Memorial Circle
- Friday (Oct. 14)
- Top Techsan Lunch: Noon, McKenzie-Merket Alumni Center
- Rowdy Raider Rally: Noon-12:50 p.m., Student Union Building North Plaza
- Homecoming Parade: 6 p.m., Texas Tech Broadway Entrance
- A Matador Evening: 6 p.m., McKenzie-Merket Alumni Center
- Homecoming & Hoops Pep Rally: 7:15 p.m., United Supermarkets Arena
- Bonfire: 9 p.m., Bonfire pit/rugby fields (east of the United Supermarkets Arena)
- Saturday (Oct. 15)
- RaiderGate: 7 a.m., R-1 parking lot/15th and Detroit
- Frazier Pregame Party: 8 a.m., Frazier Alumni Pavilion
- Texas Tech vs. West Virginia football game: 11 a.m., Jones AT&T Stadium
In the event of inclement weather, the parade and bonfire will be cancelled. A PDF map is available for the parade route. The parade will begin at the First Baptist Church on Broadway Avenue and will end around the United Supermarkets Arena.
For the Homecoming & Hoops pep rally on Friday (Oct. 14) at the United Supermarkets Arena, all doors will open at 7 p.m. and two concession stands will be open for service. More information about Friday night's events and parking can be found on the Student Union and Activities website.
Other homecoming events will occur throughout the week, including a spirit boards and banners competition, games and activities for Texas Tech students, Tamale Fest sponsored by Cru at Texas Tech and alumni events. For more information about Texas Tech's homecoming, visit its website.