The school’s fifth annual Armed Forces Day is Nov. 6.
Texas Tech University's K-12 Global Education Outreach (K-12 GEO) with the Office of International Affairs (OIA) is helping host a Veterans Day event at Waters Elementary School. The event will be from 8:15 a.m.-3:15 p.m. Nov. 6 and is the fifth annual Armed Forces Day Waters Elementary has hosted.
“K-12 GEO is excited to partner with Waters Elementary for another year of Veterans Day programming,” said Kelley Coleman, director of OIA's K-12 International Education and Outreach. “With outreach at the heart of our K-12 GEO mission, this collaboration provides an opportunity for us to promote both cultural awareness and higher education while also honoring the veterans who have served our country.”
More than 700 students will participate in activities throughout the day at Waters Elementary. The Vietnam Center and Archive, Lubbock Vet Center, Silent Wings Museum, Military and Veterans Programs at Texas Tech, American Red Cross of Lubbock, the Joe Foss Institute and representatives from the military branches will attend and sponsor activities.
The activities for students include:
- Hands-on activities such as making poppies, writing letters to active military members and listening to retired veterans and active duty military members
- Performing patriotic songs, quotes and poems
- Military service dog presentation
- Exploration of a Marine Humvee from the Vietnam War
- Display of a military helicopter
- Display of artifacts from major wars from the Vietnam Center and Office of International Affairs at Texas Tech and students with active or retired military personnel in their families
Guest speakers from Vet Star representing each branch of military service
- Classroom visits sponsored by the Joe Foss Institute's veteran volunteers throughout the week leading up to Armed Forces Day
- Wall of Honor for students' family members who are active duty, retired military and those who died in service.
Parents and community members also are invited to attend.