Red to Black Peer Financial Coaching president gives financial tips to fellow students.
Financial planning can be intimidating to many college students. Get Smart About Credit Day educates students about credit. The peer coaches at Red to Black Peer Financial Coaching are available to help Texas Tech University students tackle their finances by providing one-on-one coaching,
Shelby Huber, president of Red to Black Peer Financial Coaching, encouraged students not to ignore their finances while they are in college.
“Gaining control and understanding of your finances in college just puts you at that much more of an advantage leaving college,” Huber said.
Huber said she encourages students to take advantage of the resources Texas Tech has to offer, whether through Red to Black or personal financial planning courses offered by the university.
Huber suggested a few tips that could assist students while they make financial decisions in college:
- Don't take out more students loans than you need.
- Track your expenses by using websites such as OneReceipt and TheBirdy or download the GoodBudget app.
- Be aware of your credit score and track it online.
- Make S.M.A.R.T. (Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic, Timely) goals.
- Don't be afraid to seek out help/advice.
“It is an emotionally loaded and intimidating topic, but the sooner you start to understand your financial situation and educate yourself on money topics, the better,” Huber said.