March 22, 2011
Texas Tech University’s livestock judging team brought home its second win of the spring March 16 at the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo.
Texas Tech won the cattle, placing and reasons divisions. Overall, they outdistanced their nearest competitor, Texas A&M University, by 16 points. Western Illinois, Purdue and Iowa State University finished out the top five teams overall.
Texas Tech boasted three of the top-ten individuals. Kody Lucherk, a junior from Poth, was high individual overall. Fourth-high individual was Brady Ragland, a junior from Wolfforth, and seventh-high individual was Jordan Clem, a junior from New Home.
In the alternate division, Texas Tech also boasted three of the top-ten individuals. Tanner Kieschnick, a junior from Vernon, was second-high. Clayton Gardner, a junior from Estancia, N.M., was fourth-high, and Nathan Pond, a junior from Wolfforth, was fifth-high.
Additional team members include:
● Clay Burson, a junior from Abilene
● Brandi Capps, a junior from Dewey, Okla.
● Katie Rose McCullough, a junior from Castle Rock, Colo.
● Clay Morrison, a junior from Midland
● Logan Pritchett, a junior from Kingfisher, Okla.
● Nathan Reeves, a junior from League City
● Joel Riedel, a junior from Arroyo Grande, Calif.
● Markus Miller, a junior from Abernathy
● Trevor White, a junior from New Home
● Loni Woolley, a junior from Grandview
“I’m very proud of the hard work the team has put forth this spring,” said the team’s coach Ryan Rathmann, an assistant professor in the Department of Animal and Food Sciences. “This is a very talented group, and I’m excited to continue working with them this fall.”
In addition to Rathmann, the team is coached by graduate student Bryan Bernhard.
The team will continue their season next fall at competitions across the United States including Kansas City, Mo., and Louisville, Ky.
Find Texas Tech news, experts and story ideas at www.media.ttu.edu and on Twitter @TexasTechMedia.
CONTACT: Moriah Beyers, Department of Animal and Food Sciences, Texas Tech University, (806) 742-2805 ext. 248, or email@example.com.