October 12, 2010
On September 11, 1858, Michael Klein’s great, great grandfather, Christian Klein, registered his cattle brand at the Gillespie County Courthouse in Fredericksburg, Texas. Christian called this brand the "half-moon K." A modified version of this brand, which is the "half-moon K" with a circle around it, serves as the holding brand and logo for Windy Bar Ranch.
Michael bought his last group of outside females in 1989. Those were eight bred cows Windy Bar bought from Texas Tech University, through Dr. Bob Long. Those cows made a tremendous contribution to the herd. Since that purchase, all their females have been bred, born and raised at Windy Bar Ranch. They have not built this herd with trader cattle, but by careful selection and relentless culling for desired traits.