February 10, 2010
Texas Tech University was created by legislative action on Feb. 10, 1923.
Originally named Texas Technological College, the college opened in 1925 with six buildings and an enrollment of 914. Graduate instruction did not begin until 1927 within the school of Liberal Arts. A "Division of Graduate Studies" was established in 1935 and eventually became known as the Graduate School in 1954.
We’ve come a long way since then, but we won't stop until we become one of the nation’s truly great public research institutions. Join us on our quest for Tier One.
We’re proud of our outstanding student body, excellent faculty, amazing staff, loyal alumni and generous supporters. Here’s looking forward to a bright future and many happy returns.