Texas Tech Meat Judging Team Secures Top Honors at Eastern National
October 26, 2009
The Texas Tech University Meat Judging Team successfully began its fall judging
season with a win on Oct. 3 in Wyalusing, Pa.
In the contest, the team defeated the competition by a 150-point margin and placed
first in the beef grading, lamb judging, overall beef, pork judging and total reasons
Individually, the team also brought home top-ten honors. Meagan Igo was the high-individual
overall. Matt Bruton, Collin Corbin and Abby Long placed second, third and seventh
in the overall competition. In the alternate division, nine of the top-ten individuals
were from Texas Tech.
Oklahoma State University, the University of Illinois, South Dakota State University
and Texas A&M University rounded out the top-five team slots.
In addition to Igo, Bruton, Corbin and Long, team members include:
- Sarah Calhoun, a junior from Weatherford
- Adam Copeland, a junior from Katy
- Tate Corliss, a senior from Estancia, N.M.
- Kelsey Fletcher, a junior from Universal City
- Josh Hasty, a senior from Cleburne
- Kelly Hutton, a junior from Castle Rock, Colo.
- Amber Krause, a junior from Florence
- Josh McCann, a junior from Newport, Va.
- Brandon O’Quinn, a junior from League City
- Henry Ruiz, a senior from Eagle Pass
The team is coached by Mark Miller, Texas Tech’s San Antonio Livestock Show Distinguished
Chair in Meat Science and graduate student Travis O’Quinn.
This is the fourth of seven contests for the undefeated 2009 team.
Find Texas Tech news, experts and story ideas at www.media.ttu.edu
CONTACT: Moriah Beyers, coordinator of meat science programs, Department of Animal
and Food Sciences, Texas Tech University,
(806) 742-2805, or firstname.lastname@example.org.