Homecoming 2009: Your Passport to the World
October 2, 2009
Texas Tech celebrates Homecoming Oct. 5-10 with a week of events and activities.
Written by: Jessica Behnham
The largest homecoming bonfire was held in 1950, for the 25th Anniversary of Texas
Texas Tech University will celebrate Homecoming Oct. 5-10 with a weeklong series
The theme for Homecoming 2009 is Tech: Your Passport to the World.
Visitors to Texas Tech’s campus will be greeted by spirit displays at the university’s
Broadway Avenue entrance during Homecoming week. Banner displays also will be set
up in the Student Union Building.
Homecoming week events
Monday, Oct. 5
- A Homecoming Kickoff Pep Rally will take place from noon - 2 p.m. at the Student Union
Building North Plaza. Free T-shirts and pizza will be handed out.
- Texas Tech student organizations will participate in a singing and dancing competition
at 8 p.m. at the United Spirit Arena.
Tuesday, Oct. 6
- Texas Tech’s Rec Sports will sponsor a blood drive from 3 - 10 p.m. at the Robert
H. Ewalt Student Recreation Center Racquetball Court.
- Students are invited to meet the 2009 Homecoming king and queen candidates during
the Candidate Showcase, which begins at 8 p.m. at the United Spirit Arena.
Wednesday, Oct. 7
- Texas Tech’s volleyball team faces Baylor at 7 p.m. at the United Spirit Arena.
- A free showing of the movie “Year One” begins at 8 p.m. at the Allen Theater in the
Student Union Building.
Thursday, Oct. 8
- A free showing of the movie “Year One” begins at 3 p.m. at the Escondido Theater in
the Student Union Building.
- The Techsan Memorial begins at 5:30 p.m. on Memorial Circle to honor students, faculty,
staff and alumni who have passed away.
Friday, Oct. 9
- Campus Crusade for Christ will sponsor a Tamale Fest from 11a.m. - 1 p.m. in Urbanovsky
- The Homecoming Court and Spirit Board winners will be announced at 11:45 a.m. during
the Rowdy Raider Rally in the Student Union Building North Plaza.
- The Texas Tech Alumni Association will sponsor the Top Techsan Luncheon at noon in
the Merket Alumni Center.
- A Matador Evening: Annual Homecoming Reception/Dinner, sponsored by the Texas Tech
Alumni Association, begins at 5:30 p.m. at the Overton Hotel.
- Red Raiders can show their Texas Tech spirit at the 9 p.m. pep rally and bonfire on
the Texas Tech rugby fields east of the Recreation Center.
Saturday, Oct. 10
- The Red Raider Road Race, which is sponsored by the Texas Tech Alumni Association,
will begin at 8 a.m. in front of the Recreation Center.
- The Homecoming Parade will begin at 10 a.m. at Broadway and Avenue V and finish at
the intersection of 18th Street and Indiana Avenue on campus.
- RaiderGate, which is co-sponsored by Tech Activities Board and Student Government
Association, featuring Emory Quinn takes place in the R1 Parking Lot. Gates open four
hours prior to kickoff.
- Texas Tech faces Kansas State at 6 p.m. at Jones AT&T Stadium. The king and queen
will be crowned at halftime.