Texas Tech’s Meat Judging Team Dominates Spring Contests
March 11, 2009
Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo win is an historic eighth consecutive win for Texas
Tech's meat judging program and third win of the 2009 season.
The 2009 team took home first and second place wins as well as four of the top-ten
individual awards. Click to Enlarge
Texas Tech University’s meat judging team walked away with first place honors March
8 at the Houston Livestock Show’s Meat Judging Contest for the fifth year in a row.
The contest is the third win of 2009 for the 15-member team and the eighth consecutive
win for Texas Tech’s meat judging program.
The Red Raiders dominated the competition, winning first with 4,087 points, and second
with 4,010 points. Other top finishers, in placement order, were Colorado State University,
Texas A&M University, Oklahoma State University and Kansas State University. Thirteen
universities competed at the contest.
“All of the hard work and long hours that these students put in has rewarded them
with one of the most successful and dominating springs in recent memory,” said Travis
O’Quinn, Texas Tech graduate student and coach.
This is the first time in Texas Tech history that the school’s meat judging team has
won eight consecutive contests, said Mark Miller, Texas Tech’s San Antonio Livestock
Show Distinguished Chair in Meat Science.
The 2008 team won five consecutive contests and the 2009 team has won three consecutive
contests including contests in Denver, Ft. Worth and Houston.
Four of the top-ten individuals were from Texas Tech. Meagan Igo, a sophomore from
Plainview, took first, Collin Corbin, a sophomore from Webster, placed second and
Amber Krause, a sophomore from Florence, placed third. Abby Long, a sophomore from
Boerne, was the tenth place individual in the overall competition.
In addition to Igo, Corbin, Krause and Long, team members include:
- Matt Bruton, a sophomore from Throckmorton
- Sarah Calhoun, a sophomore from Weatherford
- Adam Copeland, a sophomore from Katy
- Tate Corliss, a junior from Estancia, N.M.
- Kelsey Fletcher, a sophomore from Universal City
- Josh Hasty, a junior from Cleburne
- Kelly Hutton, a sophomore from Castle Rock, Colo.
- Jett Mason, a sophomore from Brownfield
- Josh McCann, a sophomore from Newport, Va.
- Brandon O’Quinn, a sophomore from League City
- Henry Ruiz, a junior from Eagle Pass
- The team is coached by Miller and O’Quinn.