Homecoming Week Activities Announced
October 2, 2008
2008 Homecoming Week sure to provide great food, fun and entertainment with annual
bonfire, parade and much more.
Written by Cory Chandler
Homecoming brings alumni, students and fans together to celebrate the history, spirit
and traditions of Texas Tech. Homecoming dates back to 1930 when Texas Tech lost 20-6
to Hardin-Simmons. Photo by Artie Limmer.
Texas Tech University will celebrate Homecoming 2008 as the Red Raiders return to
Jones AT&T Stadium Saturday, Oct. 11 to face the Nebraska University Cornhuskers.
Visitors to campus will see spirit board displays all week at the Broadway Avenue
entrance and also banner displays at the Student Union. The top three Greek and top
three student organization banners will be displayed at Jones AT&T Stadium on game
The university will host a Homecoming Food Drive from 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Thursday and
from 8 a.m.-noon Friday in the C-12 North Commuter Parking Lot.
Texas Tech’s Rec Sports will host a blood drive 3-10 p.m. Tuesday and Wednesday in
the Robert H. Ewalt Student Recreation Center racquetball court.
Other activities include:
Monday, Oct. 6
- Students will showcase their musical talents at a Homecoming Kickoff from 11 a.m.-2
p.m. at the North Plaza of the Student Union Building. Participants also will get
free food and T-shirts and have an opportunity to get their picture taken with Texas
Tech spirit squads.
- Student organizations will compete in a talent competition at 8 p.m. at the United
Tuesday, Oct. 7
- Red Raiders will get an opportunity to get to know the 2008 Homecoming King and Queen
candidates at an 8 p.m. Candidate Showcase in the United Spirit Arena. Hopefuls will
participate in improv comedy sketches and answer questions before the top 10 candidates
Wednesday, Oct. 8
- A free screening of the movie “Wanted” begins at 8 p.m. at the Allen Theater in the
Student Union Building.
Thursday, Oct. 9
- A second screening of “Wanted” begins at 3 p.m. in the Allen Theater.
- The Techsan Memorial will begin at 6:30 p.m. on Memorial Circle to honor students,
faculty, staff and alumni who have died.
Friday, Oct. 10
- Campus Crusade for Christ will sponsor Tamale Fest from 11a.m.-1 p.m. in Urbanovsky
- The Homecoming Court and Spirit Board winners will be announced at noon during the
Rowdy Raider Rally in the West Plaza of the Student Union Building.
- The Alumni Association will sponsor the Top Techsan Luncheon at noon in the Merket
- A Matador Evening: Annual Homecoming Reception/Dinner, sponsored by the Alumni Association,
begins at 5:30 p.m. in the Lubbock Memorial Civic Center.
- The Women’s Soccer team will take on Baylor University at 7 p.m. in R.P. Fuller Stadium.
- The Eta Upsilon Chapter of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Inc. will host the 2008 Homecoming
Step Show – West Texas Showdown in the Allen Theatre at 7 p.m.
- Red Raiders can show their spirit at the 9 p.m. pep rally and bonfire on the rugby
fields east of the Recreation Center.
Saturday, Oct. 11
- The Red Raider Road Race will begin at 8 a.m. in front of the Recreation Center.
- The Homecoming Parade will begin at 9:30 a.m. at First Baptist Church and finish
at the intersection of 18th Street and Indiana Avenue on campus.
- RaiderGate featuring Hayes Carroll takes place in the R1 Parking Lot.
- The football game kicks off at 2 p.m. at Jones AT&T Stadium. The king and queen will
be crowned at halftime.
- The Volleyball team will take on Texas A&M University at 7 p.m. in the United Spirit