April 8, 2008
Written by Kelly Kleinsteuber
University Student Housing at Texas Tech University awarded 20 students the Mary W.
Doak Housing Scholarship, a $1,000 merit scholarship for the next academic term. The
money will go toward housing costs, books and other college expenses.
The recipients received the scholarship based on their academic performance, involvement on campus, community service and leadership experience. University Student Housing also looked at students’ descriptions of how living on campus contributed to their college success and impacted their experience at Texas Tech.
"We are thrilled to recognize and help these students with costs of higher education," said Sean Duggan, managing director of University Student Housing. "This investment in our future is well placed in these student leaders."
The following students won the 2008-2009 Mary W. Doak Housing Scholarship:
• Nichole Bass, a freshman animal sciences major from San Antonio
• Itzel Ruiz, a freshman pre-med major from San Antonio
• Lauren Lara, a freshman biology major from San Antonio
• Megan Smith, a senior nutritional sciences major from Amarillo
• Amy Birkhead, a junior nutritional sciences and pre-nursing major from Amarillo
• Gabriel Gonzalez, a sophomore advertising major from Slaton
• Tara Swick, a freshman education major from Cypress
• Stephanie Horner, a freshman public relations major from Cypress
• Constance Haugneland, a freshman mathematics major from Katy
• Kaleigh Jantoa, a freshman animal sciences and pre-med major from Gonzales
• Julie Kollins, a junior nursing major from Allen
• Jonathan Martin, a junior history and political science major from Del Rio
• Ebonee McCorvey, a sophomore biochemistry major from Rowlett
• Patrick Neshyba, a senior civil engineering major from Austin
• Preston Neumann, a sophomore architecture and business major from Aubrey
• Leandro Pileggi, a senior international business and marketing major from Roanoke
• Ashlee Schertz, freshman international business major from Sanger
• Maanisaad Shariar, a senior petroleum engineering major from United Arab Emirates
• Ricky Sherfield, a junior architecture major from Tyler
• Jarett Thompson, a freshman psychology and Spanish major from Brownsville
Mary W. Doak served as the first dean of women from the then college’s opening in 1925. She retired to become a member of the English faculty in 1945. The Mary W. Doak scholarship is named in honor of her accomplishments at Texas Tech. The Department of University Student Housing is located in Doak Hall which is also named for her.
CONTACTS: Sean Duggan, managing director, Department of University Student Housing, (806) 742-2661 or firstname.lastname@example.org