November 2, 2007
Written by Cory Chandler
Texas Tech University's Horse Judging Team cinched the top ranking at the 2007 Arabian
National Championship in Albuquerque, paving the way for a national title bid at the
American Quarter Horse Association (AQHA) world championship next month.
Teams from 13 universities and junior colleges competed against Texas Tech at the competition, where Red Raiders not only won first place, but had the top four individual rankings: Jennifer Richards, Allison Rogers, Alicia Daugherty and Kendra Pond were separated by less than five points.
The win builds on a reserve finish earlier in October at the American Quarter Horse Congress in Columbus, Ohio, and positions Texas Tech to claim its second national horse judging berth since 2004.
"I really encouraged our kids to push themselves after they won the reserve finish at the American Quarter Horse Congress," said Coach Kris Wilson, an assistant professor in the Department of Animal and Food Sciences. "They certainly rose to the challenge."
Team members could claim the national title should they win Nov. 14 at the Intercollegiate Judging Contest at the AQHA World Championship Show in Oklahoma City.
That would extend the Department of Animal and Food Sciences’ tally of national-title-winning teams in 2007 to three. The Meat Animal Evaluation Team and Academic Quiz Bowl Team earned national titles over the spring and summer.
Team members include:
• Alicia Daugherty, an agricultural communications major from Alpine
• Kendra Pond, an animal science major from Lubbock
• Kimberly Wright, an animal science major from Elkhart
• Kara Kraich, an animal science major from Akron, Colo.
• Amanda Cage, an animal science major from Ponder
• Amanda Vos, an animal science major from Bliss, Idaho
• Jennifer Richards, a psychology major from Richmond
• Greg Clark, an animal science major from Blum
• Allison Rogers, an animal science major from Kaufman
CONTACT: Kris Wilson, coach, Horse Judging Team, Texas Tech University,
(806) 742-2805 ext. 236 or email@example.com.