The Office of International Affairs will host cultural activities April 12-21.
Texas Tech University will host International Week, a full week of events devoted to celebrating the many different cultures in the world, April 12-21.
Students, faculty and staff will have the opportunity to participate in events hosted by the Office of International Affairs (OIA) along with several other departments and organizations on campus and within the community.
“International Week is a celebration of international education, research and exchange at Texas Tech,” said Sukant Misra, vice provost for International Affairs. “This is part of our efforts to promote programs that prepare our students for a global environment and attract future leaders from abroad to learn, innovate and exchange experiences.”
Events throughout the week include:
- Sowoon Arts and Heritage Symposium: 1-5 p.m. Saturday (April 14) in the Museum of Texas Tech University's Helen Devitt Jones Auditorium. The sixth annual arts and culture symposium will feature: Inmook, Korean Buddhist Monk; Eun Ha Park, Korean dance and percussionist; Tanya Clamoneri, Texas Tech dancer; Steven Jones and Ben Haugland, Texas Tech jazz musician professors; and Jesse Jou, theater professor and panel discussion moderator. Admission is free and open to the public. Refreshments will be provided.
- Ambassadors Forum: 5:30-6:30 p.m. Monday (April 16) in the International Cultural Center (ICC) Auditorium. A panel discussion titled “The Administration's Foreign & Trade Policy One Year In: A Selected Scorecard,” will feature U.S. Ambassadors Ronald Neumann, Tony Wayne, Susan Ziadeh and Marcie Ries.
- Open House: 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Tuesday (April 17) in the ICC. Faculty and staff are invited to try international cuisine from local restaurants, tour art exhibits of the ICC and explore services offered by the OIA.
- Global Vision Awards Ceremony: 5-6 p.m. Friday (April 20) in the ICC Auditorium. The Global Vision Awards recognize and celebrate members of the Texas Tech community who have advanced international outreach activities at Texas Tech.
- Worldwide Showcase: 5-7 p.m. Saturday (April 21) in the City Bank Auditorium. The free showcase brings together various international student groups to compete for the title of Worldwide Showcase Champion by highlighting their culture and talents through storytelling, singing, dancing and attire. Hosted by the OIA and the International Student Council.
Other events happening throughout the week include exhibits, forums, presentations, programs and receptions focusing on a variety of topics. A complete list of International Week events can be found online.