Events will be held throughout the week to celebrate and raise awareness of the experiences of transgender individuals.
Texas Tech University and the Office of LGBTQIA, the Texas Tech Gender and Sexuality Association and the Residence Hall Association will host events in conjunction with Trans Remembrance Week from Nov. 13-20.
Jody Randall, assistant director for the Office of LGBTQIA, said the week will be marked with different events to celebrate and raise awareness for the transgender and non-cisgender communities.
"We are fortunate to have noted advocate and educator, Ryan Sallans, with us for part of the week," Randall said. "He will share his transition experience and takeaways learned from years consulting with students, faculty and staff in higher education and beyond pertaining to identity and inclusion."
Events throughout the week include:
- Informational Tabling by the Tech GSA: 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Monday (Nov. 13), Wednesday (Nov. 15) and Friday (Nov. 17); Student Union Building (SUB) West Plaza, between the SUB and the library
- "It's Not Easy: A Day in the Life of the Transgender Community" : 3-7 p.m. Monday (Nov. 13); Ballroom, SUB; Hosted by GSA.
- Queer Reels, Reals Topics Film Series: "Boy Meets Girl" : 7 p.m. Tuesday (Nov. 14); Lubbock Room, SUB
- "FTM: Scouting the Unknown" : 7:30 p.m. Wednesday (Nov. 15); Red Raider Lounge, SUB; Presentation by featured guest Ryan Sallans.
- "Development Training: Stepping Toward a Trans-Inclusive Campus" : 9 a.m. Thursday (Nov. 16); Conference Room 206, SUB; Presentation by featured guest Ryan Sallans.
- "True Sex: The Lives of Trans Men at the Turn of the 20th Century" : Noon Thursday (Nov. 16); Traditions Room, SUB; Lecture and book signing by Emily Skidmore.
- Vigil and Celebration of Life Program: 8 p.m. Thursday (Nov. 16); Kent Hance Chapel
- Tabling and Transgender Day of Remembrance Ribbon Distribution: 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Monday (Nov. 20); SUB West Plaza, between the SUB and the library; Hosted by GSA.