In celebration of Culinarians Day on Saturday (July 25), Texas Tech Today visited with Hospitality Services chef Kara Perez for The Market dining location at the Stangel/Murdough residence hall about creating a colorful sweet treat that's perfect for summertime: a fresh fruit pizza.
With just a few ingredients, this fruit pizza is kid-friendly and great for summer cookouts, celebrations and pool parties.
Perez takes you through the simple steps to make a fruit pizza. To make your own, a printable recipe is available here and below.
- Pizza Crust:
- ½ cup butter, softened
- ¾ cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/14 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese
- ½ cup white sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and ¾ cup sugar until smooth. Mix in egg. Combine the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt; stir into the creamed mixture until blended. Press dough into an ungreased pizza pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 8 to 10 minutes, or until lightly browned. Allow crust to cool.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese with ½ cup sugar and vanilla until light. Spread on cooled crust.
- Arrange desired fruit on top of filling and chill.