Fire Occurred at the Wiggins Complex

Fire started from grill in a staff-used kitchen in the basement.

A fire occurred in a staff-used kitchen located in the basement of the Wiggins Complex at approximately 3 p.m. today. The fire started from a grill and spread to the ceiling through an exhaust hood above the grill. The building was evacuated immediately.

Lubbock Fire Department and the Texas Tech Police Department were dispatched to the Wiggins Complex, and contained the fire. The investigation is ongoing into the source, and LFD continues to check the building.

The Wiggins Complex will be closed through the weekend, and the exact date of reopen will be determined following the completion of the investigation.