Feed Your Body and Soul Week to Raise Awareness
February 23, 2012
The series of events will educate about eating disorders, body image and soulful living
Feb. 26-March 2.
The Feed Your Body and Soul Committee will host the Feed Your Body and Soul Week,
a series of events aimed at raising awareness about eating disorders, body image
and soulful living Feb. 26 through March 2.
February 27 through March 2, a Skinny Clothes Challenge will take place. All clothes
will be donated to Women’s Protective Services. To help promote body acceptance,
donors may place their old skinny clothes in designated bins located in the Student
Union Building (SUB), Horn Knapp residence hall lobby, Human Sciences building, Student
Wellness Center lobby and the Student Recreation Center.
The Events Include:
- Zumba, 7:15 p.m.-8:15 p.m.: an introductory zumba class. Participants can experience a workout with the pure
joy of a party. The event will be held in the Texas Tech University Student Recreation
Center Court No. 5.
- Feed Your Body Fair, 11 a.m.-1 p.m.: an interactive exhibit designed to raise awareness of healthy body image. The fair
will feature free food samples provided by Dewey McMurrey, executive chef for hospitality
services, media awareness displays and media literacy activities which all promote
awareness and activism for healthy body image. Participants will receive free goody
bags and free T-shirts while supplies last.
- Belly-dancing, 5:30 p.m.: introductory course will be held in Room 114 of the Student Recreation Center. Belly-dancing
provides a great cardiovascular workout and improves and strength while letting you
have fun and learn to appreciate your body. Free T-shirts will be handed out while
- Movie Presentation: “Thin,” 6:45-8:45 p.m.: following the belly-dancing class, the movie “Thin” will be shown in room 205 of
the Student Recreation Center. “Thin” tells the story of four women struggling to
maintain recovery from eating disorders. A brief discussion will follow the move.
Free popcorn and T-shirts will be given as well.
- Celebrate Recovery, 7p.m.: The final event for Feed Your Body and Soul Week will be Celebration of Recovery
to be held in the Center for the Study of Addiction and Recovery’s Serenity Center.
The event will feature a personal story of recovery from an eating disorder. Free
T-shirts will be handed out while supplies last.
Learn the Truth Behind Recovery Programs
Women's Studies Program Presents Feminist Forums
Spirit Squads Name New Pom Coach