September 28, 2011
Texas Tech University will celebrate Homecoming Oct. 12-16 with five days of events and activities.
Several factors, internal and external, collided on the calendar to compel changes to the expected schedule of events, according to Jon Mark Bernal, associate director of the Student Union & Activities.
“Due to Fall Break occurring at the beginning of the week as well as the current Lubbock County burn ban, we have to adjust this year’s Homecoming week schedule,” Bernal said. “The biggest adjustment for people will be the location and events of our traditional Friday night Pep Rally/Bonfire. Typically we would have it on the interior of campus, but because Taylor Swift is also performing that night at the United Spirit Arena, we have moved locations to allow for more parking and easier flow in and out of the Pep Rally.”
All Friday night events will be at the John Walker Soccer Complex on the southwest corner of 10th Street and Texas Tech Parkway. Fans are invited to support the Texas Tech Homecoming soccer game vs. Kansas at 7 p.m. Admission is free with a Kansas State football ticket, with free busing to and from the soccer complex for on-campus students.
“We also will not be holding the Bonfire portion of our program this year but instead will be displaying a new piece to this year’s Homecoming – the Flaming Double T – which will be a unique thing for people to see during this year’s Pep Rally,” Bernal said.
Banner displays based on this year’s musical theme, “iTech ...Who’s on your playlist?” will be featured in the Student Union Building throughout the week beginning Oct. 11. Spirit boards painted by various campus organizations will be displayed at the Broadway Avenue entrance to campus.
This year’s homecoming events include:
Oct. 12 (Wednesday)
• Make Your Own Music Video will be available from 10:30 a.m. – 2 p.m. in the Student Union Ballroom.
• Homecoming Kickoff will take place at noon in the North Plaza outside the Student Union. Enjoy free food and live music by Little Wolf.
• Members of various Texas Tech student organizations will compete in Student Organization (S.O.) Sing at 8 p.m. in the United Spirit Arena.
Oct. 13 (Thursday)
• Preston Pugmire, a unique one-man band furnishing all of his own beats, guitars, bass and vocals will perform from noon – 1 p.m. in the Student Union Courtyard.
• The Techsan Memorial will take place at 5:30 p.m. in Memorial Circle to honor students, faculty, staff and alumni who have passed away.
Oct. 14 (Friday)
• The Homecoming Court and Spirit Board winners will be announced at the Rowdy Raider Rally at noon in the North Plaza outside the Student Union.
• The Texas Tech Alumni Association will sponsor the Top Techsan Luncheon at noon in the Merket Alumni Center.
• The annual Homecoming dinner and reception, A Matador Evening, will be held at 6 p.m. in the Merket Alumni Center, sponsored by the Texas Tech Alumni Association.
• Support Texas Tech soccer vs. Kansas at 7 p.m. at the John B. Walker Soccer Complex. Admission is free with a Kansas State football ticket, with free busing to and from the soccer complex for on-campus students.
• Students are invited to show their Texas Tech spirit at the Pep Rally featuring a flaming Double T, immediately following the soccer game at the John B. Walker Soccer Complex.
Oct. 15 (Saturday)
• Homecoming Parade at 10 a.m. (subject to change based on game time), will begin at Broadway and Avenue V and end at 18th street between Boston and Flint on campus.
• RaiderGate will feature country singer Johnny Cooper. Gates open four hours before kickoff.
• Texas Tech will face Kansas State at Jones AT&T Stadium. The king and queen will be crowned at halftime.
Oct. 16 (Sunday)
• Support Texas Tech soccer vs. Texas at 7 p.m. at the John B. Walker Soccer Complex. Admission is free with a Kansas State football ticket.
Find Texas Tech news, experts and story ideas at www.media.ttu.edu and on Twitter @TexasTechMedia.
CONTACT: Jon Mark Bernal, associate director, Student Union & Activities, Texas Tech University, (806) 742-4708 or firstname.lastname@example.org.