Feed Your Body and Soul Week
February 18, 2009
Texas Tech hosts health awareness week to promote healthy eating, living and overall
Written by Sarah Whetstone
Infuse yourself with knowledge about healthy eating and living during Feed Your Body
& Soul week at Texas Tech University. This series of events, which runs February
23-26, is designed to create greater awareness about eating disorders and body image
issues. Some activities place an added emphasis on holistic wellness – physical,
mental and spiritual well-being.
Schedule of Events:
- Eating Disorder Screenings: Noon to 2 p.m. Feb. 23 at the Marsha Sharp Center for Student Athletes and 4–6 p.m.
in the main hallway of the Robert H. Ewalt Student Recreation Center (REC). This is
an opportunity to speak with a mental health professional about personal eating habits
or eating habits of a friend.
- “Fitting Into Your Cultural Genes: Diversity Panel Discussion”: 6:30-8 p.m. Feb. 23 in room 169 in the Human Sciences Building. Members of several
different cultures will speak about the challenges they have faced regarding body
image and share how they have overcome body image issues. The Student Counseling Center
(SCC) will give away T-shirts.
- “Belly up for Body Image”: 5:30-6:30 p.m. Feb. 24 in room 114 at the REC. This introductory class to the art
of belly dancing provides a cardiovascular workout and improves flexibility, strength
and self-esteem. SCC will give away T-shirts.
- “Men’s Health, Nutrition and Fitness: A Panel Discussion,”: 7 p.m. Feb. 24 in room 201 at the REC. Discussion will encompass many common and
some unexposed men’s health issues. SCC give away T-shirts.
- The Feed Your Body Fair: 11 a.m.-1 p.m. Feb. 25 at the Student Union Building. This presentation will feature
healthy snacks and presentations on nutrition and body acceptance. SCC will give away
- Women’s Studies Film Series presents: "Disfigured": 6 p.m. Feb. 25 in room 169 at the Human Sciences Building. "Disfigured" is a 2008
film following an unexpected friendship between an anorexic woman and an obese woman.
The event is sponsored by the Women’s Studies film series, “Threading the Needle.”
T-shirts will be given away.
- The Elisa Project Gathering: 6:30 p.m. Feb. 26 in room 169 of the Human Sciences Building. The event will embrace
the memories of those who have died from eating disorders.
- The Celebration of Recovery: 7-8 p.m. Feb. 26 in the Serenity Room at the Center for the Study of Addiction and
Recovery. This event will wrap up Feed Your Body & Soul Week and celebrate the progress
of people who are recovering from eating disorders.
Feed Your Body & Soul week is sponsored by The Student Counseling Center, University
Student Housing, The Center for the Study of Addiction and Recovery, Student Health
Services, NCAA, Texas Tech Athletics, RecSports, The Center for Campus Life, The Elisa
Project and The Office of Student Diversity Relations.