June 13, 2014
Expert: Friday the 13th May Be Nothing to Fear
Whether it's the number or the date, pop-culture expert Rob Weiner is available to discuss the superstition.
Written by Karin Slyker
Call it what you want, friggatriskaidekaphobia or paraskevidekatriaphobia, both are defined as the fear of Friday the 13th, but perhaps the only thing we may have to fear is fear itself.
Rob Weiner, associate librarian and pop culture expert, Texas Tech University Library, (806) 834-5126 office, (806) 780-8775 mobile, or email@example.com.
- The superstition of Friday the 13th
- The Friday the 13th movie and television series
- Friday the 13th in popular culture
- “I think the whole Friday the 13th thing gets blown out of proportion. It is like the 13th floor not existing in hotels and office buildings. One of those weird superstitions where the no. 13 is supposedly cursed.”
- “The Friday the 13th movie franchise certainly helped perpetuate the notion, but it also brought about one of the most popular Boogie-men in film history, Jason, through the course of 12 films. The franchise made millions and became part of the general popular culture landscape with Jason being the subject of books, action figures, cartoons, fan films and fiction and even mash-ups.”