Written by Sarah Harlan
Texas Tech Teaching Academy was established to recognize excellence in teaching and to promote the university’s teaching mission.
Ten new members of the Texas Tech University Teaching Academy were inducted Thursday (Oct. 3) for their outstanding performance in teaching and research.
Chance Brooks, associate professor of meat science, said being inducted is humbling, and he has an increased appreciation for well-rounded faculty members.
“Teaching, service and research are integrally related,” Brooks said.
Inductees must be nominated by a member of the Teaching Academy and then seconded by another, in addition to being reviewed and selected by the Teaching Academy membership committee. The academy was established to recognize excellence in teaching and to promote the university’s teaching mission.
Assistant Professor of Nutrition, Hospitality and Retailing Jamie Cooper said she places a high value on teaching and being inducted is affirmation of that value.
“I like being able to watch students get excited about the field they’re in,” Cooper said. “When you see that light bulb go off when they really get something and understand something – I find that very rewarding.”
Once members are inducted there are a variety of services and activities to advance their teaching techniques.
Stephen B. Bayne, associate professor of electrical and computer engineering said the academy sends a great message to younger faculty and it’s a great thing to strive for.
“Now that I’m in the academy, I think one of my roles is to mentor,” Bayne said. “I think that is one thing I could try to do, is to mentor young faculty as they start working for the university, and talk to current faculty members about teaching and get the word out about the academy.”
Inductees for the 2013-2014 class include:
- Stephen B. Bayne, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Chance Brooks, Department of Animal and Food Sciences
- Claudia Cogliser, Area of Management
- Nathan Collie, Department of Biological Sciences
- Jamie Cooper, Department of Nutrition, Hospitality and Retailing
- Jennifer A. Farris, Department of Industrial Engineering
- Janet Froeschle, Department of Education EPL
- David Harrison, Area of Finance
- Jeff Wherry, Department of Human Development and Family Studies
- Mitzi Lauderdale, Department of Personal Financial Planning
The Teaching Academy was formally inaugurated in 1997 to demonstrate, support, promote and recognize teaching excellence at Texas Tech. For more information go to www.academy.ttu.edu.