Celebrate Diversity: Texas Tech Efforts Reach New Heights
Several departments and programs are dedicated to recruiting and retaining students from a variety of backgrounds.
Written by Callie Jones
In the last year, Texas Tech University, led by the Division of Diversity, Equity and Community Engagement, has made strides in the areas of diversity and inclusion in academic success.
Some recent accomplishments include:
- Top 50 producers of Hispanic baccalaureate recipients
- Top 50 producers for American Indian baccalaureate recipients
- 88th in total minority bachelor’s degrees for 2010-2011
- Hispanic enrollment reaching 19 percent for the 2013-2014 academic year and record numbers of African-American students
- Recognition by the Education Trust for success in closing achievement gaps among African-American and Hispanic students
- Recognition by INSIGHT Into Diversity for the 2nd annual HEED award, given to only 35 public universities nationally
Texas Tech has also been recognized for its efforts in keeping tuition rates affordable, a key component in providing an inclusive environment for people from varied backgrounds.
Recent recognition in this area includes:
- No. 28 in the nation for Affordable Colleges with High Returns
- Recognition as a 2013 Most Affordable College
- Commitment by the Board of Regents to keep tuition costs low by maintaining tuition and fees for the 2013-2014 year at the previous year’s level
Texas Tech has several departments and programs dedicated to recruiting and retaining students from diverse backgrounds and providing a superior college environment for those students.
These departments and programs include:
- Cross-Cultural Academic Advancement Center
- Mentor Tech
- Military & Veterans Programs
- Office of Community Engagement
- Upward Bound
- Women’s Studies
Division of Institutional Diversity, Equity & Community Engagement
The Division of Institutional Diversity, Equity & Community Engagement is dedicated to create and support an environment that allows all members of the university community to be academically and professionally successful.
Connect with us on Facebook.