TechAlert! Test Scheduled
The emergency communications system will be tested at 10:50 a.m. on Oct. 15.
Written by Allison Matherly
Texas Tech University will test its TechAlert! Emergency Communications System at 10:50 a.m. Oct. 15.
All faculty, staff and students should update cell phone, home phone or text message information at emergency.ttu.edu. The system is used to alert the university community of emergency situations or class cancellations or delays.
“The safety of our university community is our top priority,” said Ronald Phillips, university counsel and emergency management coordinator. “We test the TechAlert! system at least twice a year if it is not otherwise activated, so it is vital that we have current phone, text message and email contacts for all faculty, staff and students so our emergency communications system can get the latest information out as fast as possible.”
In addition to the TechAlert! system, the university will use a variety of communication tools in the event of an emergency.
These tools include:
- Emergency.ttu.edu is the online Emergency Communications Center. It will be used to inform the Texas Tech community about what to do in advance of, during and after an emergency.
- The university’s home page, Texas Tech Today, and social media accounts on Facebook and Twitter.
- Informing local media to deliver emergency information
- Outdoor siren notification system
Sign up for Emergency Alerts!
TechAlert! is a mass notification system that simultaneously sends email, text and voice messages to alert the university community of emergency situations or class cancellations or delays.
- More than 17,000 students, faculty and staff have opted in to receive text message alerts.
- As of the last TechAlert! message, more than 40,600 voice and 35,400 email messages were sent.
If you have not already done so this semester, update cell phone, home phone or text message information at www.ttu.edu/emergency. Up to four phone numbers can be entered, with TTY/TDD for hearing impaired and text messaging options.