April 25, 2013
Texas Tech Rodeo Team Members Headed to Nationals
Women will defend their 2012 national title.
Written by Leslie Cranford
By turning in a strong showing at the Tarleton State University Stampede Rodeo April 18-20 in Stephenville, the Texas Tech University women’s rodeo team qualified to compete in the College National Finals Rodeo in June in Casper, Wyo.
The women’s team made school history last summer, winning its first national championship at the 64th annual College National Finals Rodeo.
The team’s finish in Stephenville put the group in second place in the National Intercollegiate Rodeo Association’s Southwest Region.
Members of the women’s team include Taylor Langdon, a senior exercise sports major from Aubrey; Shelby Janssen, a junior general studies major from Austin, Minn.; Carley Richardson, a senior animal and food sciences-nursing major from Pampa; and Traci Bailey, a junior agriculture education major from Centerville, Wash.
Prominent performances at the Tarleton Stampede Rodeo included:
• Barrel Racing: Langdon, second in the finals; fourth overall. The placing solidified her position as the ‘2013 Southwest Region Champion Barrel Racer.’
• Goat Tying: Cierra Kunesh, a junior animal science major from McCloud, Mont. seventh in the finals; sixth overall
• Goat Tying: Bailey, seventh overall
• Calf Roping: Layne Norton, a junior agriculture and applied economics major from Carlsbad, N.M., second in go-round one, third in the finals, fourth overall
• Saddle Bronc Riding: Chance Gasperson, a junior finance major from Decatur, second in the short-go, third overall
Texas Tech rodeo coach Chris Guay also noted that the Texas Tech men individual qualifiers for the national finals rodeo include Garrett Hale, a junior agriculture and applied economics major from Snyder, who was second in calf roping at Tarleton; and Zach Peterson, an agriculture and applied economics major from Afton, Iowa, who placed third in bull riding.
CONTACT: Moriah Beyers, Department of Animal and Food Sciences, Texas Tech University, (806) 742-2805 ext. 248, or email@example.com.