March 5, 2013
Texas Tech Wins Houston Meat Judging for the Ninth Consecutive Year
Written by Moriah Beyers
Texas Tech University’s meat judging team walked away with first place honors March 3 at the Houston Livestock Show’s Intercollegiate Meat Judging Contest. This is the ninth consecutive year the Red Raiders have won the competition in Houston.
Eleven universities competed for the title. Texas Tech’s black team finished first and posted a total score of 4,199 points. They were followed by the Red Raider’s red team in second. Oklahoma State University, Texas A&M University and Kansas State University finished third through fifth, respectively.
The Texas Tech teams won the beef grading, beef judging, lamb judging, overall beef, specifications and placings divisions.
“I’m very proud of the commitment of these students this spring,” said Mark Miller, Horn Professor and San Antonio Livestock Show Distinguished Chair in Meat Science. “We are very blessed to have such a large and deeply competitive team this year.”
Individually, the Red Raiders dominated as well, securing eight out of 10 high individual overall spots.
• Austin Langemeier, a sophomore from Marion was top high individual
• Colton Campbell, a sophomore from Artesia, N.M., was second
• Kylan Carson, a sophomore from Olton was third
• Nick Hardcastle, a junior from Wheeler was fourth
• Clayton Krause, a junior from New Braunfels finished sixth
• Greg Howard, a junior from Bremen, Kan., was awarded seventh
• Kassandra Ognoskie, a sophomore from Orting, Wash., was ninth
• Bailey Joe Pennington, a sophomore from Sonora was 10th
Additional team members include:
• Brittany Blum, a sophomore from Howe
• Taelar Childers, a sophomore from Nevada
• Colton Coker, a sophomore from Roby
• Aaron Faulkner, a junior from Lenapah, Okla.
• Trey Garza, a sophomore from Edinburg
• Mallory Jones, a sophomore from Anson
• Kirby Kennedy, a sophomore from Lampasas
• Kristen Knight, a sophomore from Shallowater
• Jacob Mikel, a junior from Vicky, Mo.
• Tyler Neuman, a sophomore from Hondo
• Luke Sellers, a junior from Denver City
• Christy Woerner, a sophomore from Fredericksburg
• William Wunderlich, a sophomore from Fredericksburg
The team is coached by graduate student Loni Woolley along with Miller.
This was the last contest of the spring for the 2013 team. Next fall they will compete at four more contests. The team will also host contests and workouts this spring and summer at Texas Tech for 4-H and FFA students from across the United States.
CONTACT: Moriah Beyers, Department of Animal and Food Sciences, Texas Tech University, (806) 742-2805 ext. 248, or email@example.com.