Texas Tech and co-hosts are sponsoring 10 events to raise awareness about and bring an end to sexual assault.
Texas Tech and co-hosts present 10 events in the month of April to raise awareness about sexual assault. All events are open to the public.
The events are as follows:
- Wall of Healing – month long event outside the Student Union Building; the Wall is to honor and remember survivors of sexual assault and to provide a forum for friends and family. Submissions can be poetry, prose, drawings or other forms of expression. Please submit messages to Ashlee Brown.
- Feminist Forum: Gendering Media Power – 7 p.m. April 5 in the Escondido Theatre; the forum will cover topics in pop culture and the identities assigned to young men and women within the media.
- The Myth of “No Means Yes:” Sexual Scripts and Sexual Assault – 6 p.m. April 7 in the Student Union Building Soapsuds Room; this interactive presentation and discussion will explore how common sexual scripts and stereotypes about gender contribute to sexual assault.
- Walk a Mile in Her Shoes – 10:30 a.m. April 9 at the Lubbock County Courthouse; a march around the courthouse will showcase men speaking out against rape by walking a mile in women’s shoes. The event will close with an evening after party and a live and silent auction. For more information please contact Kim from the Lubbock Rape Crisis Center at (806) 763-3232.
- Sexual Assault Talk Show – 6 p.m. April 12 in Human Sciences Rm. 169; this event has a talk show format including: a host, victim, alleged perpetrator, friend of the perpetrator and a therapist. The goal is to facilitate audience discussion and address rape myths.
- Take Back the Night Rally and March– 6 p.m. April 15 at Urbanovsky Park; a rally and march will be followed by a candlelight vigil and talk as survivors ‘Shatter the Silence’ about sexual violence.
- Self-Defense Class – 2 p.m. April 16 in the Student Recreation Center Rm. 116; Karl Lusk will teach a women-only class focusing on learning self-defense techniques including vulnerable areas on a perpetrator and maintaining awareness of surroundings.
- Working with Survivors of Sexual Assault: Panel Discussion– 6:30 p.m. April 21 in the Student Union Building Mesa Room; this informational event includes an interactive question and answer session addressing the legal and medical aspects of sexual assault.
- Men’s Coalition: Meet and Greet– 6 p.m. April 26 in the Student Union Building Canyon Room; in this meeting, the members will explore how a man’s involvement in various activities can create a positive impact in the community.
- 12th Annual Denim Day – April 27; this is an internationally celebrated day that is intended to show support for all efforts against rape.
Sponsors and co-hosts include the Texas Tech Student Counseling Center, Student Health Services, The Sexual Assault Peer Educators, The Women’s Studies Program, the Lubbock Rape Crisis Center, Women’s Protective Services, American Association of University Women TTU Chapter, Feminists of Lubbock and V-Day Lubbock Coalition.
For a more details and a full schedule visit the webiste.